Monday, May 19, 2014

Schlachter_artist statment


My final piece utilizes the scientific phenomena of cymatics, which is the visibility of sound and vibration. This piece explores the repetitive movement, and fractal patterns of the frequency tones that unravel the mysteries of the universe whilst typically remaining virtually invisible to the naked. Studying Synesthesia in many of my art classes, I have always been fascinated with the ability to cross senses where the stimulation of one sense leads to involuntarily experiencing another. I wanted to create an installation that allows viewers to experience that sensation themselves. I built my own sound rig with a subwoofer, stretched saran wrap on top, and a pure tone generator. I poured a puddle of water on top of the saran wrap, and by playing sounds patterns and movement was formed by the vibration of the frequencies.  For the final piece, I created an installation that projects a gif of the series of macro photos of the movement and patterns of water while playing the frequency that created those patterns, 263 hz, the tone of creativity.  By creating a GIF instead of just a video recording, the movements of the water were frozen in time for that split second, making these fleeting complex patterns almost tangible. The main intention of this installation is to create an experience for the viewer. By projecting it big onto the wall, my hope is that they will feel immersed in the piece sparking a mental awareness, spirituality, and a sense of meditation as they experience a cross sense sensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment